2009년 5월 14일 목요일

(2006) Mainichi 'The King of the Clown' Interview

Q:What did you feel was the reason as to why you were selected for the role of Gonggil?
JK: Well, according to the director, he saw in me an ability to bring anticipation and hope to him. At the same time, I seem to be quite nonchalant and fearless as even when acting opposite more experienced actors or performing dangerous stunts, I am able to solve any difficulties myself. This is how the director sees me.

Q:Nonchalant? Fearless? Is that how you live your personal life too?
JK: (Thinks for a while) Come to think of it, it does seem pretty embarrassing to say that for I certainly am quite fearless in nature. I had always had this thinking that I must always be better than others. I want to improve myself constantly; perhaps it’s because I am very competitive in nature.

Q:How did you feel when you finally got the role of Gonggil?
JK: First of all I felt very happy! It’s like I have finally won! However at the same time I felt extremely pressurised and often had many sleepless nights during the filming process.

Q:You danced and walked across the tightrope in the movie. What did you do to prepare yourself for all these?
JK: I studied 7 different types of skills in order to cope with the demands of filming. In order to ensure that I am able to at least act out my role reasonably well when filming commenced, I did not rest at all and kept practising every day for the past 2 months. It was very hectic.

Q:I heard that you are a fan of Bruce lee and Jackie Chan. Does having a background in martial arts help you in this role?
JK: I learned before aikido, Tae Kwon Do and Taekkyeon (another form of Korean martial arts). Perhaps this is the reason why I am able to learn things much faster.

Q:Is it true that the reason you took up martial arts is because Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee are both your idols?
JK: I used to think that as a guy, one cannot just know martial arts, to know the martial arts movements alone is not enough. In addition, one must also have the ability to protect one’s own family members. This is what makes a real man.

Q:Was there any danger when you had to walk across the tightrope during the filing of “The King and the Clown”?
JK: Well... as there was a huge cushion laid below, so I can do somersaults in the air with no fear of falling down. But there was once when I fell and hurt my thigh badly. At that moment I thought I was that close to not being able to have any descendants!

Q:Has Gam Woo-sung and Jeong Jin-yeong, being more experienced actors than you gave you any valuable pointers?
JK: Before filming commenced for “The King and the Clown”, I did some preparations myself and my seniors too gave me many valuable pointers on how to further improve my role, to give it more punch and substance.

Q:Being such a nonchalant and a person who doesn’t seem to fear anything, are you able to accept any criticisms from your seniors calmly?
JK: There is a difference between being nonchalant and respect for my seniors. No matter how capable I am, I cannot ignore the teachings of my seniors. I will accept all comments or criticisms that my seniors and the people I respect in my heart, for I believe that their teachings and constructive criticisms is the path for me to grow and be a much better actor.

Q:Oh yes, right from the start of this interview, I noticed that you kept looking at me in a very strange way. Whenever I caught your gaze, my heart seems to beat very fast. Are your eyes all right?
JK: I underwent laser surgery. Hence I can now see very clearly. In fact right now I too have this “see through” ability.

Q:Really? What do you want to “see through”?
JK: (Stares intently at my face)….. I only want to look at your face right now...

Q:(Trying very hard to regains composure) It does help you a lot to have such a pair of charming eyes in your acting, doesn’t it?
JK: The eyes are known as the windows to the soul, isn’t it? Hence, although I do not know if I have such a pair of attractive eyes, I do know that if I use my eyes effectively, it will improve and open up my acting skills. I feel that in this way I can add more depth to my acting, so I will continue to improve in this manner.

Q:You are presently in Kyoto filming “Virgin Snow”. Is the filming going on smoothly? (Note that this interview was conducted in September 06)
JK: No, it isn’t going smoothly at all. (Gave a grave look)

Q:(Shocked)What? It isn’t going smoothly??
JK: Hahaha, isn’t this answer what you wanted to hear from me??

Q:….. How did you get along with the lead actress Aoi Miyazaki?

JK: Are you going to ask about the rumours of us in love?


Q:Speechless…..

JK: (Laughs) Well, we got along very well during filming.

Q:At an earlier press conference, Gam Woo-sung remarked that as Lee Junki’s lips are simply to beautiful, he kept focusing on your lips and tend to forget his lines. So what is your secret to maintain your lips?
JK: Hmm, well, I will maintain my lips when I have a girlfriend. Since I do not have one at the moment, no special maintenance is needed at all right now

Q:Lastly, please recommend to the reporters here which is the MOST exciting part of “The King and the Clown”
JK: I am afraid that even if I mentioned a particular part of the movie that you should watched especially, I am sure that you all will finished watching the entire movie; it is simply not possible to pick out any particular part. (Laughs)
Anyway, this is a movie that everyone puts in their best to film and produced and I hope that everyone will enjoy this movie right up till the end.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기